Bladon Springs State Park consists of 357 acres which are centered around four mineral springs. There are campsites, picnic tables, and grills available along with a large shelter for family outings.
The park has a very interesting history! In 1838, it opened as a spa! People from all over the country would travel to this location because of the springs curing properties. The springs contain sulfur, iron, magnesium, and calcium. You can definitely smell the sulfur in the water!
In 1846, a Greek Revival style mansion was built to accommodate 200 visitors. The mansion was one of the largest wooden hotels in Alabama. The mansion became known as the “Saratoga of the South”. The mansion stayed open throughout the Civil War but closed soon after because the novelty of mineral springs wore off. This is when the state purchased the property.
When we visited the park, there was a family reunion going on at the group shelter, and the children were playing on the playground. We looked at the campgrounds but decided not to spend the night. We heard that there was a $20.00 charge for camping at the park but never saw a dropbox or check-in facility.
[flexiblemap src=”/ThatDogHasItsOwnTent/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Bladon-Springs-State-Park.kml” width=”100%” height=”500″]